Orangery Herrenhausen ©Hannover Marketing und Tourismus, Ulrich Kirmes

The Orangery was built in 1723 as a winter store for Herrenhausen’s orange trees and other frost-sensitive tub plants, and its Classical façade was added almost a century later by court master of works Georg Ludwig Laves.

In the early 1970s the plants moved to modern winter quarters and the long building found a new use as an excellent venue for festivities, concerts and exhibitions.